"I remember thinking in school how I would grow up and would protect my students from unpleasant impressions, from uncertainty, from scrappy learning," Friedl Dicker-Brandeis wrote to a friend in 1940. "Today only one thing seems important — to rouse the desire towards creative work, to make it a habit, and to teach how to overcome difficulties that are insignificant in comparison with the goal to which you are striving."
...I've been thinking about this wonderful Austrian woman today. She taught art classes in a transit Concentration Camp called Terezin and filled two suitcases full of 4, 500 pieces of Children's art during the Holocaust.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sweet Memories
-
▼
2010
(17)
-
▼
October
(6)
- Enjoy! Smile! "A smile is a beautiful thing. It ...
- "I remember thinking in school how I would grow up...
- London-"if you're tired of london then you're tire...
- Wittenberg is wonderful. As soon saw we started to...
- Today I did three possibly unexpected things. 1. A...
- Austria: lush green rolling hills, dense forests p...
-
▼
October
(6)
JOSIE! We love reading about your adventures and positive insight in everything you see. Then I realized I had never commented on anything...so I wanted you to know that we are thinking of you and living vicariously in Europe through you, haha.
ReplyDelete