Maybe, just possibly you saw the nicest person you have ever-almost-met today. Most likely.
Probably.
I mean, what if you were to turn to that lad or lady and say "Hey, you're glasses are really great" or possibly, "Your van makes me want to go back to Folk Fest" And then picture it. Huge smiles. Best Friends. Travelling the world together. Just like that.
I mean, what if you were to turn to that lad or lady and say "Hey, you're glasses are really great" or possibly, "Your van makes me want to go back to Folk Fest" And then picture it. Huge smiles. Best Friends. Travelling the world together. Just like that.
I often think of that at school. A few days ago I was completing my first-of-the-semester mail run, which encompassed me carrying all of the parcel's contents to each of my classes 'til I had time to run (literally) to the post office before five. [So, if you are a recipient, basically you are very special AND in a roundabout way went to every single class with me and met each person I know!]
Anyway-I got to the post office and there was a huge line. When I was done sealing up all my packages I went to the back of the line which spanned out the door.
A few minutes passed when a boy came in line behind me. He was very jolly (and an experienced mailer, as he was reusing a flat rate box even) and kept eyeing up my pink and blue parcels. I wondered what he thought of them. Maybe even where he was from. You know. But I didn't say a word and just carried on my way.
A few minutes later, I heard him talking to a girl behind him (clearly a freshman) who desperately needed tape. He was so kind and offered his to her and even taped it for her! When it was finally his turn, he was so genuinely kind and smiley to the postman.
It warmed my heart.
I wanted to say something. Introduce myself! Exclaim that this young lad would someday, very much like today, change the world.
But the moment, as quickly as it came, passed by.
Yes, maybe the stars do align and a certain day would be made beautifully bright by meeting the person buying their sandwich to my right or catching my eye through the library book shelf in the poetry section. Who knows.
Or maybe I'm the one who would have made their day bright.
Who have you seen today? And who have you really not seen and just passed by? Maybe that person was a math tutor. Maybe a great cookie baker. Or maybe even your newest kindred spirit friend! Or maybe just someone who smiled when you, being as kind as you are, smiled their way.
...Just sayin'.
P.S. Don't feel too bad about post office boy. Rexburg isn't that big. And if he likes the post office as much as me...well, I'm sure we'll be looking at stamp books together in no time.

That is absolutely darling. Oh, Josie, how I love thine insights. :) It's funny how I've suddenly started thinking this way since our Europe tripe. Life has taken on new meaning, I suppose. For each of us. Anyway, I enjoyed your insight and your humor. Good luck finding your postage stamp boy.
ReplyDeleteLove it Josie.
ReplyDeleteA friendly look, a kindly smile, one good act, and life's worthwhile.
-- Author Unknown