Friday, April 22, 2011

Oh Canada, Oh Canada!


(Poppy at I at the hockey game.)
Many a time in I-dee-ho, I found myself humming, "America the Beautiful" or "The Star Spangled Banner" on my path to school or even for a choir audition! Of course, Oh Canada is quite literally embedded to my very soul, I found myself out of practice, except for the occasional time when I was asked to sing the entire song in front of others who couldn't get past, "Oh Canada."


A few weeks ago mama called me wondering if I could sing the anthem for a few hockey tournaments when I got home. I agreed and thought it would be fun-even if the first singing occurred my very first day home. 


I figured the tournament must be for 
little boys, nothing that was too big of a deal.


So, the first day back I went and visited my dad's office. I casually said I was singing at the hockey game in a half hour. The response was something of this nature, "Oh my gosh! The Allan Cup! How on earth did you get the honour to sing there!" Turns out, this tournament was not full of little boys. 
But men. Hockey men. And I would be serenading them a total of 4 times in one week!!
My favourite game was on Wednesday night. I have never, ever in my life seen so many people there! I went to the box with the bagpipers. There was the cutest little boy playing a drum while his dad played his bagpipes. I was strangely not nervous at all! I was so excited to be singing there. Our hometown team was playing, the Kenora Thistles. And by everyone, I mean...


about 2500 people.


No big deal, right!


Before I began, I thought it may be fun to pull the announcers leg, you know, stir the pot a bit. He was giving my the microphone and telling me all of the logistical matters  (it was about 2 minutes to showtime) when I said, "By the way, I've been in Idaho for  months. So, I may or may not remember all the words. Is that okay? I might sing a few phrases from the Star Spangled Banner."
He looked horrified.
I smiled and told him I absolutely knew it and practiced in the car just in case! I am a pretty true blue Canadian, after all. Everything past Oh Canada just rolls off the tongue.
I sang and it was a brilliant experience! All of those wonderful people in the stands sang along with me. On the last phrases, they started cheering and clapping! It was extremely patriotic. I was so very amazed that I had the opportunity and I got home just in the knick of time.
(This is a video from one of the games...not my favourite game on Wednesday night, but still a fun game!)

Now, I most definitely know how big of a deal the Allan cup is!

4 comments:

  1. I love this experience!! Go JOS!!! hahah That poor man must have just about fainted thinking that you weren't going to sing the song right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so cool! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josie that is so great!! You are too adorable, I'm glad that you have not been brainwashed by us Americans and that you were able to sing "Oh Canada!" without slipping in the "Star Spangled Banner." Congratulations on the amazing opportunity! I absolutely love your cute Canadian self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really cool, Josie. I hope they gave you that sweater. I want one. I am not kidding. I hope you're well. Hi to your fandamily.

    ReplyDelete