Sunday, December 11, 2011

This week I learned about 
this...
"Episodic memory is designed for one-time events-episodes that occurred in one place at one time.  We store episodes in long term memory if they are rich in sensory input, stir our emotions or relate to prior experiences. Sights, sounds, smells, taste and touch are captured by our episodic memory pathways. We especially remember emotionally-charged events. Our brains are
  exquisite memory makers 
when it come to personally relevant events. 

And immediately remembered this wonderful event and 
this dear friend 
that I simply 
adore...
 When I was in high school, I had a highly classy dance ballroom partner. He particularly loved snow and commented on how he wished it would snow. I had a sneaky idea. The next week, I told him to bring his mittens and toque because we were going to play in the snow. He was very confused, since it was snow-less October. After dance class, I blindfolded him and drove him to a secret location. I put snow in his hands-and he squealed!
  Where were we? 
Behind the skating rink where the Zamboni puts it's snow each day. 
We spent the next while playing in that delightful snow. 
Simply magical.
Oh, how I miss Shaun Halley!
 Easily one of my favourite memories. 
Easily one of my favourite people.

1 comment: