Sunday, January 13, 2013

One Week.

It's hard to believe it's mid-January, I've been here for one whole week of teaching and that I live minutes from Temple Square.  Our school is full of bright-eyed children who come from all sorts of homes. In one week I've learned that I'm not just teaching children, I am advocating for them.
I'm caring for them.
And names of little ones have been added to my prayers.
I guess I've always known that part of my role, but this week, I've been able to put that realization into action.
A little boy sat alone at the lunch table...
I'm in my orange vest on duty.
We sat and talked. 
He said, 
"I don't like girls. 
But I sure like you."
We see another student crying in the hall.
 He lost his backpack,
 "Over the fence, in the tree, by the church." 
So, we trek through the wintry, 
snowy field and search.
Our teacher shoes fill with snow.
And by the time we get home, 
it's 6pm 
and we are all very seriously contemplating going to bed.
But we carry on-lesson planning, cutting felt stories and even saving egg cartons and other beautiful junk...
just in case we'll need it. 

It's a busy life, but a good life.


Outfit: Cardi-Walmart, Boots-Weekend Adventure, Dress-Room mates! 

3 comments:

  1. The whole outfit is so CUTE! I Love it!
    I miss you!

    Hunghung

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful way to talk about teaching! I am glad you are a teacher, we need more good teachers like you! Here, here to teaching! :)
    -Bridgette
    http://bridgettenicole.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete