Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Chapter 2 "Step Aside, Elvis Stojko."

Last Monday evening, Husband and I went to the Skating Oval for our Family Night. The oval was built for and is used for competitive speed skating. It's outside, surrounded by evergreens, but the ice was smooth as can be. They tend to it each morning for the speed skating. There's even a cute little (heated) cabin to put on your skates and warm up in between laps. And it make it even more darling, the fee is placed in a little box and regulated by...honesty. Usually, when I've skated outside, I get a bit nervous skating fast because the ice is unpredictable. But this ice was flawless. 
Since I could walk, I was skating. My sisters and I all started skating very young. I joined the Keewatin Figure Skating Club when I was only 3 years old. We grew up in Kenora, Ontario where everyone seemed to know how to skate. I remember when I went to University it was the first time I had ever seen a "skate rental" place at the rink. Everyone has skates or has access to skates where I am from. And I've always loved the ice. Whenever I put on my skates and even just skate laps, I feel a sense of home. I love the strong, clear sound my blades make against the ice. It has always caused me to feel powerful and free.
I remember when we were dating, Ryan mentioned he could skate but couldn't really stop. He explained he hadn't played hockey and really hadn't skated much growing up at all. Being from Kenora, I was very surprised and thought it was very strange. I really thought being Canadian and skating went hand in hand.
 Usually, when someone has not had much exposure to skating, the fear of falling seems to paralyze them. Especially, when someone tries skating as an adult. But that is not Ryan. He is fearless on the ice. At Christmastime, we went to an outdoor rink on Lake of the Woods. Ryan announced afterwards that it was, "one of the best things he has ever done...in his life!"  Needless to say, I've recognized that he has some real skating passion inside his lower mainland, British Columbia, heart. And I absolutely love it. 
Prior to going skating, we decided it was time to invest in some skates for Ryan. We found a sale at Canadian Tire. Ryan tried on his skates, we got them sharpened, I announced to the employee that they were his first skates (it's very momentous!) and we were off. 
He quickly laced up his skates and zoomed around and around the oval. Cross-overs (forward and backwards), spirals, quick stops, fancy footwork, power skating...you name it, he was practicing it. And more than that, he is very, very talented. He picks up skills so quickly. I admire the persistence he has on the ice. Even though he is trying something that he has not really done in the past, he has found confidence in it. It's so neat to be reminded that it's never too late to try something new-and really love it, too! It was -17 and he didn't care one bit. He kept suggesting that we go around just one more time...or maybe two or three more times. And I didn't mind either; I love seeing the magic he's found on the ice.
 "Jos, can we come here again sometime?"
"Of course."
"Oh, good!"

No comments:

Post a Comment