Sunday, January 29, 2017

Chapter 3 "Our Husband Cake"

This month, Ryan and I celebrated four years since our very first date and three years from our engagement. On our very first date, we went to a cute old home that had been converted into a cake house. It was called The Chocolate. 
As soon as we went in, I quietly noticed one of the cakes was named, "The Husband." I giggled to myself, but decided not to point out the name, since it was, after all, our very first date AND the first time we had ever met in person. Ryan pointed it out and said, "Oh! That's funny. The husband cake! Let's order that one and try it." 
Needless to say, the Husband Cake has become a bit of a legend for us. Each January, we'd go back and enjoy a piece together. We even had Husband cake at our engagement party. After our first date, I told my mother, "I want to marry a boy just like that," but I could have never actually predicted that he would, in fact, become my heaven-sent husband.
 This January, we have been quite busy getting settled into our new home. Since we moved from another country there are lots of things to get done. So, we almost forgot about our day! When we remembered, we were both dismayed. We hadn't prepared to celebrate and we were so, so many kilometers from our dear cake house and the delicious and special husband cake. I thought we could just buy any kind of fancy cake to celebrate, but Ryan insisted we have, "yellow cake with fudge chocolate icing," just like our beloved Husband cake. We searched our new town to no avail. Rather, we postponed our celebration to the weekend. I made Ryan a little Husband cake in a loaf pan and we ate it together for several days to come. 
After (and during...long story) our first date years ago, I was sick with strep throat. I was looking through our texts today from the day after our date. I wrote to Ryan, "I just finished supper-chicken broth and ice-cream for dessert. Good thing you bought me that cake yesterday to get some food in me."
His response,"That husband should take care of you for a while."
...and oh, how he has done that. 
(Forever and always). 

No comments:

Post a Comment