Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Stars and Stripes.

Since I'm Canadian, 
many of my blog followers have been Canadian.
I have noticed a huge influx of American Readers.
(Where have the Canadians gone? 
Country-wide holiday, perhaps?)

With this in mind, 
 here's a little something I've been thinking about lately.

A few weeks ago, 
it was September, 11th. 
Purely accidentally, 
(I always loose track of the date while at school)
 I wore a very patriotic outfit to school.
I walked on to campus,
And in reality, had to catch my breath.
Flags, each representing 20 lives, 
dotted the large commons area beside the library.
When September 11th happened, I was 11 years old.
I remember the day so clearly.
Even though I lived in Canada, we were very much affected.
I remember my mom picking me up in our red mini van-
She was crying.
I went home for lunch.
When I came back, I remember asking my teacher:
"Did you hear what happened in New York?"
We met for an assembly.
And after school, I wrote many, many poems.
I remembered feeling sad for the boys and girls that day,
who may have come home to an empty house.
 Children have such a pure love that fills their hearts, don't they?
Now, years and years have passed. 
Here I am on campus and see such a beautiful, heart-felt display.
 It really does not matter where you're from.
But it does matter who you are.
For me,this display was about people.
A representation of love.
What makes us, as people, so unique,
so caring...
is our ability to love those we don't even know.
To feel for them.
And to hope for them.
To cry for them.
And to remember them.
Spread a little love today.


Skirt: DI-handmade
Blouse: Target
Flats: Walmart

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You much more patriotic than me! I love the patriotic outfit you chose to wear :) really cute. and yes, even though it was quite a while ago (I was 12!) it's definitely something we all seem to remember so clearly, and we always should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this outfit. Too classy girlfriend. Love it.

    ReplyDelete